If you are at the trail and this trail needs the latitude and longitude please click the link below and add it to the Add/Edit Trail Form to give us the information. Click to view your current location on a map.
SOUTH DERBY TRAIL # 1857
Difficulty: More Difficult
Trail Use: Moderate
Length: 4.25 miles
Elevation: Starts at 11,238 feet and ends at 11,451 feet (highest point 11,675 feet)
Elevation Gain: + 1,171 feet – 958 feet = +213 feet
Open To: HIKING, HORSEBACK RIDING
- Access to South Derby Trail is located 50 miles east of Meeker.
- From Meeker, take State Highway 13 east for 1 mile.
- Where Highway 13 turns north, turn east on Rio Blanco County Road 8 for 39 miles.
- Turn south on the Trappers Lake Road (FDR 205) for 10 miles to the Outlet Trailhead.
- Follow the Carhart Trail #1815 around the east side of Trappers Lake to the Trappers Lake Trail #1816.
- Take Trappers Lake Trail for 4 miles to the head of Fraser Creek where the Island Lakes Trail #1842 begins.
- Follow Island Lakes Trail for about 2.5 miles to where the South Derby Trail branches to the south. Trail Highlights: The South Derby Trail winds its way for a 2.5 mile journey over the shoulder of Sheep Mountain to Crescent Lake. The trail then circles the southeast end of Mackinaw Lake and climbs for 1.75 miles up to the Flat Tops plateau to its terminus at the junction of the W-Mountain #1817 and Turret Crescent #2269 Trails.
- THIS TRAIL IS USED FOR MULTIPLE ACTIVITIES INCLUDING HIKING AND HORSEBACK RIDING. PLEASE RESPECT OTHER USERS.
- DOMESTIC CATTLE MAY BE GRAZING IN THE AREA. PACK IT IN – PACK IT OUT!! LEAVE NO TRACE!!
- Trail Measurement: 4.25 Miles
- Compass Latitude: 395258N
- Compass Longitude: 1065937W
- Numeric Latitude: 39.8827639
- Numeric Longitude: -106.9936585
- Elevation in Meters: 2,616
- Elevation in Feet: 8,583
If you have information about this trail please fill out the Add/Edit Trail form.